Local growing season is upon us, which means we will be sourcing the majority of our juicing vegetables locally. Starting in June we will begin getting all of our Wheatgrass, Kale, Romaine, Beet, Cucumber, Celery, and Watermelon locally. In support of our local farmers we’re also carrying Elmwood Stock Farm and Lazy 8 Stock Farm CSAs for pick-up at many of our retail locations. Learn more about why eating locally is important and who we partner with below!
Benefits of consuming locally grown Certified Organic fruits and vegetables:
- Fruits and vegetables grown in local organic soil have higher nutrient-density and benefits of microorganisms.
- Produce picked at the peak of ripeness has delicious flavor and elevated mineral and vitamins.
- Fresh produce equals a better flavor profile and therefore, a tastier juice.
- The money we spend stays in our local economy and helps these farms maintain the good work they are doing.
Local Food Partners
- Fab Ferments – Fermented food company out of Cincinnati that specializes in kombucha, fermented veggies, and probiotic kvass.
- Elixir Kombucha – delicious kombucha out of Louisville, KY.
- Sol Food Bars – clean, gluten-free, vegan, paleo energy bars made in Lexington, KY
- V-Grits – the BEST vegan, raw food made in Louisville, KY.
- Alive and Wild Crackers – fermented probiotic-filled kraut crackers made in Lexington, KY
- Simply B – an amazing clean facial scrub made in Lexington, KY
- 407 Botanicals – shea butter based lotion with essential oils made outside of Indianapolis
- Sweet Grass Granola – our favorite crunchy gluten-free granola produced in Berea, KY
Elmwood Stock Farm
Elmwood Stock Farm is a family owned and operated farm in Georgetown, Kentucky. The family has been farming for six generations, and let me tell you, they know their stuff. We are proud to be able to use some of their produce in our juices. We juice Elmwood Farm beets, kale, romaine, basil, and more whenever they are available. We are also a pick up location for their CSA program; a weekly program that delivers boxes of seasonal produce to convenient pick up areas for subscribers. From seeing their produce come in and out of our doors daily, we will be the first to tell you that Elmwood not only produces quality products, but they do so sustainably, organically, and deliciously.
Lazy 8 Farm
Located in Paint Lick, Kentucky, Lazy 8 Farm is another exceptional local supplier of ours. A diverse, 430 acre CSA farm, Lazy 8 allows us to enrich our juices with an array of local produce including wheatgrass, kale, cucumber, and more depending on the season. Also a generational farm, Lazy 8 has been tended to by the same family since 1960. Certified organic since 2013, Lazy 8 farm has strong convictions about the quality and treatment of their products. They have a strong model for regenerative and successful farming techniques, and we are thrilled to be able to support them and the quality of our product at the same time.
Sustainable Harvest is one of our amazing farming partners. This USDA Certified Organic Farm provides us with some insanely delicious produce during growing season. Ever wonder how the Felon Melon tastes so dang sweet? You can thank Sustainable harvest for that. After learning organic practices on the Elmwood Stock Farm, this lovely little family moved to their current home in London, Ky and began selling their organic produce at farmer’s markets and through CSA’s on their growing farm.They continue to look for ways to innovate and expand their farm to provide quality, sustainable and delicious food to their family and community. We continue to look forward to the high-quality produce coming from Sustainable Harvest year-round.